308. A Field In England

A FIELD IN ENGLAND
Cert 15
90 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, once very strong, strong violence and gory images

Apparently, I should like A Field In England.
The fact is that I was so baffled by it that I had to read a few reviews to make sense of what I had seen.
According to the excellent website Rotten Tomatoes, 87 per cent of critics have been positive.
And yet, those who disapprove do so very strongly. I'm with the ones who thought it was 'almost unbearable' and 'like being punched in the face by your best friend for no reason.'
I am afraid I found Ben Wheatley's film to be virtually incomprehensible.
It attempts to be Shakespearean in delivery and yet ends up just being shakey.
The film, set at the time of the English Civil War, surrounds Whitehead (Reece Shearsmith), a cowardly Cavalier, who makes an uneasy piece with three Roundheads who desert from the battlefield.
However, they meet with the fearsome O'Neil (Michael Smiley) who knows Whitehead has a secret which, if he spills the beans, could make him rich.
As said, the language in A Field In England makes it pretty difficult to follow.
The confusion is deepened with some scenes in which the soldiers are hallucinating after eating mushrooms.
Overall, I couldn't help thinking it was all too clever for its own good.
As well as the dense script, it is filmed in black and white for no obvious reason.
To top it off there are a couple of male genital shots which are just gratuitous.
Suffice to say, it wasn't for me.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: Two flashes
Overall rating: 3/10