322. Suspension Of Disbelief

SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF
Cert 15
112 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, once very strong and strong sex references

After two and half years and more than 1,500 movies I thought I had used up all of the different ways of accessing films.
Wrong. Suspension Of Disbelief is the first picture sent to me on a memory stick. My thanks to its publicity team.
Actually, I didn't have the heart to tell them that I am such a technophobe that I had never used such a device before.
However, it transpired that it was simple, even for an idiot like me.
In fact it was a great deal easier to understand that Mike Figgis's Suspension Of Disbelief.
Figgis, you were recall, was the much heralded director of Leaving Las Vegas but has struggled to live up to its standard.
Here, he creates a thriller which aspires to be clever but is often translucent, bordering on opaque.
It stars Sebastian Koch as a screen writer whose script which surrounds a young woman's death is being mirrored in real life.
Meanwhile, his daughter (Rebecca Night) is entering the world of showbusinesses but is struggling to keep up on set and with the free-time excesses of the acting fraternity.
Both become embroiled in the inquiry into the death which is investigated by a cop (Kenneth Cranham) who also fancies himself as a crime writer.
There are sections of Suspension Of Disbelief which really had me hooked but its tension is too often dissipated by dream-like tangents which I found rather difficult to understand.
Koch is as reliable as ever as the middle-aged father with an eye for younger women.
Meanwhile, Lotte Verbeek is splendidly dark as the twin sister of the lass who has died.
But just when it seems as though Figgis has got the fire burning, it is doused by a wholly unsatisfactory ending.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: yes
Overall rating: 5/10