346. The Heat

THE HEAT
Cert 15
117 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, violence and sex references

Miss W has come home for the week after splitting from her fella, so I persuaded her to swap her blue mood for a night at the flicks.
I was convinced that she would be tickled pink by Paul Feig's The Heat - and I was right.
Of course, I fancied that I was on to a sure thing after reading the movie's poster which stated it was from: "The director of Bridesmaids.''
Bridesmaids introduced me to the humour of Melissa McCarthy (sadly, I missed out on the Gilmore Girls' experience).
Here, McCarthy is just as crude as a Boston cop who refuses to play by the book.
Alongside her, is Sandra Bullock as an FBI agent who is such a slave to the rules, it would be easy to believe she wrote them.
Needless to say both are loathed by villains and cops alike but, after a tense beginning, team up to take on the bad guys.
The Heat's best moments are its physical gags and that doesn't matter whether it is McCarthy, Bullock or a ginger cat at the centre of the attention.
The storyline is that Bullock has been given the job of tracking down a dangerous crime lord but in doing so has found herself on McCarthy's turf.
McCarthy is equally determined to nail the crims but not with the same modus operandi.
Both actresses are blessed with comic timing and have a chemistry which crackles throughout.
There are plenty of gags - some prompted belly laughs while some missed by a mile.
My view was that it was pretty funny but not as good as Bridesmaids. But Miss W loved it and as it was her therapy for her case of the blues it was job done.
Laughs: Six good ones
Jumps: two
Vomit: yes
Nudity: none
Overall rating: I gave it 7, Miss W said 8, so let's say 7.5/10