AFTERSHOCK
Cert 18
89 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong bloody violence, grisly images and sexual violence
Eli Roth - a name synonymous with the appalling torture porn as seen in his Hostel movies.
I remember Mark Kermode suggesting that Roth should be 'sent to bed' without his supper for bringing them to the big screen.
Thus, I was looking forward to Aftershock as much as I would an audience with George Galloway.
Substantiating my worse fears were reviews on internet movie database which consistently said 1/10.
So, knowing that she doesn't have much of a stomach for gore I suggested that Mrs W might want to leave the room when I stuck on Aftershock on Virgin Movies on Demand.
Roth, the film's producer, writer and star, has blanket bombed the potential DVD and video-on-demand audience at the same time as Aftershock being released at the cinema.
I wondered whether that was why picture houses had virtually ignored it or was it because their managements believe that Roth is a busted flush.
Either way, the portents were appalling.
Fast foward one and a half hours and Mrs W saying: "That had me gripped. I really rather enjoyed it.''
Yes, Mrs Queasy as she is sometimes known, survived an Eli Roth-inspired horror and hailed it a 7/10.
Let's be frank - she got a bit carried away.
There are a surprising number of elements to recommend Aftershock, particularly its very tense last half hour or so.
However, its opening 30 minutes is mind-numbingly dull, leading me to protest to Mrs W over her gushing praise.
That half hour is when we are introduced to Roth's character Gringo and his buddies Pollo (Nicolas Martinez) and Ariel (Ariel Levy).
They are on a tour of Chile, drinking as much as possible while trying to 'get off with' as many attractive women as possible.
They visit nightclub after nightclub in their pursuit until, finally, they find one they really like only for it literally to come falling down because of an earthquake.
The wake of the quake is when the action really starts as the trio and some of the pretty picked-up lasses (led by Andrea Osvart) battle for their lives against mother nature and some escaped prisoners.
Of course, it wouldn't be a Roth-inspired movie (it's actually directed by Nicolas Lopez) without a handsome amount of blood and gore but this time it isn't accompanied by the sordid undercurrent that cuts through Hostel.
Sadly, however, the special effects are not accompanied by acting nearly good enough to merit 7/10.
I'm giving it 5, which is at least four more than I expected to.
Laughs: none
Jumps: two
Vomit: yes
Nudity: yes
Overall rating: 5/10

