LIDICE (FALL OF THE INNOCENT)
Cert 15
126 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong war violence, horror and one strong sex scene
As well as trying to watch movies at the cinema, I am spending this Bank Holiday making inroads into the list of films I have missed in 2013.
Near the top of that list was Petr Nikolaev's movie which I would have seen much sooner had Mrs W not mislaid our Lovefilm version while doing a spring clean.
The said disc was never recovered so I finally paid up for it and then hired another one.
And it turned out to be the latest in the list of east European-made movies about Nazi atrocities in the Second World War.
I have seen a number of these from Polish film-makers but this time it is the turn of the Czechs who highlight the ghastly killings of the inhabitants of a village called Lidice.
Actually, the movie has been released under that name but its DVD title in this country is Fall Of The Innocent.
Indeed, it took me a little while before I realised it was the same film.
I digress. It begins at the start of the German occupation of Czechoslovakia - a time when local resistance was sporadic at best.
Indeed, life goes on but as young lovers play what they believe are just games they have no idea the impact they will have.
The films centres on one (Ondrej Novak), whose father (Karel Roden) is serving time in jail for unwittingly killing his other son.
As he serves his time he is oblivious to the ever increasing cruelty the Germans have towards his fellow villagers.
The cast is impressive but the stand-out is Roman Luknar as the Czech police officer who complies with the Nazis in an attempt to save his own skin.
The Fall Of The Innocent does jump around a bit and isn't classic cinema but it is an important reminder of one of the most appalling crimes of World War 2.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 6.5/10
