KEVIN HART: LET ME EXPLAIN
Cert 15
75 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language and sex references.
Oh, Kevin, I need you to explain so many things.
Firstly, why is it ok for you to liberally use the the n-word, which has become the symbol of racism across the planet.
I suspect that if I had shouted it so loudly in Nottingham Cineworld's screen 13 last night I would have been beaten up, arrested or both.
Secondly, why is it ok to make such filthy, derogatory jokes about women?
I suspect that if I had shouted such lines to the women in last night's audience I would have been beaten up, arrested or both (I am repeating myself deliberately because, apparently, that gets laughs).
Thirdly, why were the women in screen 13 the ones who laughed the loudest when most of your jokes were aimed at them?
Fourthly, why did I spend two hours driving to and then watching your show when my son had come back home for the evening?
Actually, I already know that one - Kevin Hart: Let Me Explain was in town for one night only so this was the only chance to see it.
But, in all sincerity, I would love to be given the answers to points one to three because years ago I went to a diversity course and its leaders would have told me that Hart's language was utterly unacceptable.
I wasn't the only white person in the audience last night but it won't surprise anyone that there was a black majority.
Obviously, this didn't bother me two hoots. I spend lots of time in cinemas where I have the only white face (Bollywood, Kollywood, Tollywood and Nollywood).
But never have I felt more as if this was a party to which I wasn't invited.
Hart was using a language which was banned to me but, apparently, not to others.
Now let me be clear. I neither want to use the n-word about black people nor do I want to use the b-word about women. Both make my skin crawl. But I don't think anyone else should either.
Thus, I felt wretchedly uncomfortable for much of Kevin Hart's performance - a recording from his live gig at Madison Square Garden.
However, what I could admire was his frenetic style and, on the rare occasions he veered from the n-word, b-word, f-word script, he was actually pretty funny.
Of course, the rest of the audience were falling about laughing and stayed for the live satellite Q & A afterwards.
Not me - I went off to find my son in the pub.
Laughs: Four for me - many many more for others in the audience
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: Very difficult this one because I know that others will think it was worth 10/10. For me, no more than 3.

