388. You're Next

YOU'RE NEXT
Cert 18
95 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong bloody violence

"I'll pick you up later,'' said Mrs W,  when I announced that Adam Wingard's slasher picture was next on the Sunday evening agenda.
So, she drove off into the distance and I settled down for some high level gore and the prospect of a young audience laughing as blood was splattered over the screen.
On that point, You're Next was exactly what I expected but to be fair to the kids, there are a few moments which even made me chuckle.
The story surrounds a savage attack on a family who are having dinner to celebrate their parents 35th wedding anniversary.
There is a clear signal of what is to come when what transpires to be their neighbours are hacked to death in the film's opening scenes but what then develops is a lot more clever than I had expected.
First of all, it is clear that this is a family which is not at all at ease with itself.
The mother (Barbara Crampton) is a neurotic and is even on the edge before the attack begins and her mood is not helped by the fierce arguing among the siblings (particularly Joe Swanberg and AJ Bowen).
They don't even line up as a team when crossbow bolts are fired into the dining hall as they are eating and the deaths begin.
Anyway, the good news is that the party-crashers don't get it all their own way thanks to the plucky Sharni Vinson (if they had taken Bait 3D out on DVD they would have already realised that not even a 9ft shark can mess around with her).
As said, there are a couple of surprises in You're Next which makes it a cut above movies of this genre but I shan't ruin them by going into detail.
What I will say is that for those who are not bothered with subtleties, the body count is high and the methods of killing are varied enough to keep them entertained.
Laughs: I chuckled twice but many in the audience were guffawing merrily.
Jumps: two
Vomit: none
Nudity: yes - totally gratuitous.
Overall rating: 6/10