JADOO
Cert 12A
83 mins
BBFC advice: Contains one use of strong language
From jaded to Jadoo: I really wasn't feeling that well yesterday but I know as well as anyone that the everyfilm quest isn't for wimps.
Thus, after a day at work, Mrs W and I hot-footed to Nottingham Cineworld for this year's version of East is East.
And, typically of any Indian film, Amit Gupta's restaurant-based comedy has two basic ingredients: a wedding and a family rift.
I guess if I didn't see so many Indian movies, the formula would not seem so predictable but the fact is that I do and it is.
This particular picture centres on Shalini (Amara Karan) who has accepted a marriage proposal from an upstanding lawyer (Tom Mison).
For once, the white boy marrying the Indian girl doesn't trigger the row.
Instead, that is left to Shalini's dad (Harish Patel) and uncle (Kulvinder Ghir) who have been estranged for ten years.
They used to run a famous restaurant together but are now in daggers-drawn competition on opposite sides of a road in Leicester.
The brothers are not on speaking terms but Shalini is determined to get them together so they can prepare her wedding feast.
Thus, the film is based around her attempt to knock their proverbial heads together.
And I have to report that it has a certain charm with warm characters and a light and frothy storyline.
I warmed especially to Patel, probably because his passion for eating huge amounts of food is not unlike my own.
But while Jadoo has its heart in the right place it fails to score highly because it didn't make us laugh.
And judging by the fact that it has only managed one week at most cinema screens, our experience wasn't unusual.
Laughs: none for me
Jumps: none
Vomit: sound only
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 5/10

