224. Looking For Light: Jane Bown; movie review

LOOKING FOR LIGHT: JANE BOWN
Cert: TBA
82 mins
BBFC advice: TBA

I was a journalist for barely a month before the typewriters were packed away and 'new technology' was introduced in the shape of unreliable computers which had dark green screens and yellowish scripts.
The typewriters were kept in a room because it was believed that it was inevitable they would be needed in the event of a major computer crash.
This was a year or so before Eddy Shah made another major change to the media landscape when he introduced the all-colour Today newspaper.
These were two major steps during 30 years of huge changes to the media and society.
I feel privileged to have witnessed such tumult but part of me wishes that I had been around when journalism was simpler.
In the days when Jane Bown was in her pomp, journalists and photographers were respected, given time to do their job and had a camaraderie which doesn't exist in the same way nowadays.
Sadly, however, they were often married to their profession rather than their families.
Bown was a skilled portrait photographer, recording black and white images of subjects, from The Queen to striking dock workers, for The Observer newspaper.
During Luke Dodd and Michael Whyte's documentary, she is feted by her contemporaries. Interestingly, I doubt whether her very defined job exists anywhere nowadays - press photographers are declining in number and have to be jacks of all trades.
Thus, this film offers a glimpse into the past, showcasing some wonderful photographs as well as chronicling both Bown's career and her family life.
The latter, it transpires, has been something of a rollercoaster from Bown's unusual childhood (Bown isn't the name of her father) to her relationship with her children.
Dodd and Whyte's film appealed to me because of the nature of my job and the fact that I have met people like Jane Bown, albeit not of the same high talent.
Journalism attracts eccentrics and she is certainly one - but, it appears a beloved one, nonetheless.
But I would say that it is quite an insular film and wonder whether it will grab people from outside of the industry in the same way.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 6/10