BLUE EXORCIST, THE MOVIE
Cert 12A
88 mins
BBFC advice: TBA
At times like this, I need my son.
He got into Japanese animation a few years ago and became something of an expert.
I don't know whether he is aware of the blue exorcists but I have to admit that I wasn't and, consequently, much of this movie shot straight over my head.
A quick bit of research now informs me that blue exorcist is a 'manga' cartoon which has been serialised in a Japanese magazine for the past few years.
This was then turned into a TV series and finally into Atsushi Takahashi's film.
All clear? Well, maybe a bit less opaque than it was to me as I digested the opening scenes in which a boy with a tail tries to save spirits from a ghost train, at the same time causing a horrendous crash to happen above a city's streets.
Rin is the hero of the piece and is a fledgling blue exorcist, brought up on stories of victory over demons.
The only problem is that Rin doesn't necessarily recognise a demon when its in his midst and even when he does he is so headstrong that he will not accept the dangers it presents.
Basically, what I could fathom from Blue Exorcist: The Movie is that we should not be distracted from a righteous path but also that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
To help the audience arrive at this conclusion, athletic young animated Japanese people see off a variety of huge ugly monsters, many of which exude a huge amount of goo when they are killed.
As for the demons and the little bug like creatures which threaten the future of the city... I'll leave it to you to find out.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 5/10
Cert 12A
88 mins
BBFC advice: TBA
At times like this, I need my son.
He got into Japanese animation a few years ago and became something of an expert.
I don't know whether he is aware of the blue exorcists but I have to admit that I wasn't and, consequently, much of this movie shot straight over my head.
A quick bit of research now informs me that blue exorcist is a 'manga' cartoon which has been serialised in a Japanese magazine for the past few years.
This was then turned into a TV series and finally into Atsushi Takahashi's film.
All clear? Well, maybe a bit less opaque than it was to me as I digested the opening scenes in which a boy with a tail tries to save spirits from a ghost train, at the same time causing a horrendous crash to happen above a city's streets.
Rin is the hero of the piece and is a fledgling blue exorcist, brought up on stories of victory over demons.
The only problem is that Rin doesn't necessarily recognise a demon when its in his midst and even when he does he is so headstrong that he will not accept the dangers it presents.
Basically, what I could fathom from Blue Exorcist: The Movie is that we should not be distracted from a righteous path but also that we shouldn't judge a book by its cover.
To help the audience arrive at this conclusion, athletic young animated Japanese people see off a variety of huge ugly monsters, many of which exude a huge amount of goo when they are killed.
As for the demons and the little bug like creatures which threaten the future of the city... I'll leave it to you to find out.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 5/10

