MAIDAN
Cert 12A
134 mins
BBFC advice: Contains infrequent strong language
Maidan, I have learned today, is another word for square but, in many cases has begun to have a political connotation.
For example, Tahrir Square in Egypt where people famously protested against the Government is also known as Maidan Tahrir.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti is the central square in Kiev where Ukrainians stood up against a corrupt government.
They won and its leader fled but not before he had turned the army's guns on its own people, killing more than 100 of them.
Sergei Loznitsa's film is an account of the civil uprising which took place in the winter of 2013/2014.
It begins with peaceful rallies and concludes with the bloody street battles and their immediate aftermath.
I was very much looking forward to this because I wanted to understand more about the strife which continues to shroud this former Soviet republic.
Sadly, Maidan disappoints in this regard.
It is another in a line of documentaries which have dispensed with narration, relying on just three captions to update the progress of the revolution.
Otherwise, it is presented in the style of a home movie. There are no interviews or explanation - just contemporary scenes from the square.
These include political speeches and songs which are subtitled.
But I wanted more direct comment from the participants on why they were so moved to put their own lives at risk.
And I wanted more detail of not only the misdeeds of the president but also the reasons for Russian leader Vladimir Putin's support.
Maidan is still a daring piece of work but I feel that its greatest appreciation will be limited to those who know more about the Ukrainian crisis than me.
I watched it on itunes.
Director Sergei Loznitsa: "Maidan is the first film in my rather long documentary career, when I actually had to follow the events of “real life”, as they were unfolding. This was a new and nerve-wrecking experience for me."
Reasons to watch: Records an important and devastating time in recent history.
Reasons to avoid: It doesn't have a narrative and so lacks enough explanation.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 6/10
Cert 12A
134 mins
BBFC advice: Contains infrequent strong language
Maidan, I have learned today, is another word for square but, in many cases has begun to have a political connotation.
For example, Tahrir Square in Egypt where people famously protested against the Government is also known as Maidan Tahrir.
Maidan Nezalezhnosti is the central square in Kiev where Ukrainians stood up against a corrupt government.
They won and its leader fled but not before he had turned the army's guns on its own people, killing more than 100 of them.
Sergei Loznitsa's film is an account of the civil uprising which took place in the winter of 2013/2014.
It begins with peaceful rallies and concludes with the bloody street battles and their immediate aftermath.
I was very much looking forward to this because I wanted to understand more about the strife which continues to shroud this former Soviet republic.
Sadly, Maidan disappoints in this regard.
It is another in a line of documentaries which have dispensed with narration, relying on just three captions to update the progress of the revolution.
Otherwise, it is presented in the style of a home movie. There are no interviews or explanation - just contemporary scenes from the square.
These include political speeches and songs which are subtitled.
But I wanted more direct comment from the participants on why they were so moved to put their own lives at risk.
And I wanted more detail of not only the misdeeds of the president but also the reasons for Russian leader Vladimir Putin's support.
Maidan is still a daring piece of work but I feel that its greatest appreciation will be limited to those who know more about the Ukrainian crisis than me.
I watched it on itunes.
Director Sergei Loznitsa: "Maidan is the first film in my rather long documentary career, when I actually had to follow the events of “real life”, as they were unfolding. This was a new and nerve-wrecking experience for me."
Reasons to watch: Records an important and devastating time in recent history.
Reasons to avoid: It doesn't have a narrative and so lacks enough explanation.
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 6/10

