IT FOLLOWS
Cert 15
100 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong threat, sexualised nudity, violence, gory images, strong language
My sense of anticipation of It Follows reached its height when a former colleague of mine sent me a Facebook message which simply stated: "9/10 - best horror in ages".
By the end of Tuesday evening's screening at Derby Quad, I couldn't agree.
True, it had an impressive edge of originality and also made me leap from my seat a couple of times but it was too repetitive for my taste.
Worst of all, I was left so badly hanging by its ending that I waited through the credits to see if there would be a resolution.
I even turned to two of the people of the very sparse audience and asked them if I had missed something. They were no wiser.
It Follows begins with a scene in which a young woman darts from her home in great fear of something which nobody else can see.
David Robert Mitchell's movie then alights upon Jay (Maika Monroe) whose boyfriend (Jake Weary) faces the same affliction as the aforementioned girl.
He passes on his curse by having sex with Jay and the remainder of the film surrounds her increasing anxiety as she sees a pursuer who is invisible to others.
And the chase has its moments - there are scenes which had me on edge and Monroe's overwroughtness is very effective.
But, in the final analysis, It Follows didn't have enough strands to its bow for me to agree with my old mate's 9/10 rating.
Director David Robert Mitchell: "The film sprang from a childhood nightmare where something is following you. In the nightmare, it was slow but ever-persistent."
Reasons to watch: An original take on the horror genre
Reasons to avoid: Not enough background explanation
Laughs: none
Jumps: two
Vomit: none
Nudity: yes
Overall rating: 6.5/10
Cert 15
100 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong threat, sexualised nudity, violence, gory images, strong language
My sense of anticipation of It Follows reached its height when a former colleague of mine sent me a Facebook message which simply stated: "9/10 - best horror in ages".
By the end of Tuesday evening's screening at Derby Quad, I couldn't agree.
True, it had an impressive edge of originality and also made me leap from my seat a couple of times but it was too repetitive for my taste.
Worst of all, I was left so badly hanging by its ending that I waited through the credits to see if there would be a resolution.
I even turned to two of the people of the very sparse audience and asked them if I had missed something. They were no wiser.
It Follows begins with a scene in which a young woman darts from her home in great fear of something which nobody else can see.
David Robert Mitchell's movie then alights upon Jay (Maika Monroe) whose boyfriend (Jake Weary) faces the same affliction as the aforementioned girl.
He passes on his curse by having sex with Jay and the remainder of the film surrounds her increasing anxiety as she sees a pursuer who is invisible to others.
And the chase has its moments - there are scenes which had me on edge and Monroe's overwroughtness is very effective.
But, in the final analysis, It Follows didn't have enough strands to its bow for me to agree with my old mate's 9/10 rating.
Director David Robert Mitchell: "The film sprang from a childhood nightmare where something is following you. In the nightmare, it was slow but ever-persistent."
Reasons to watch: An original take on the horror genre
Reasons to avoid: Not enough background explanation
Laughs: none
Jumps: two
Vomit: none
Nudity: yes
Overall rating: 6.5/10

