129. Ali Kundilli; movie review

ALI KUNDILLI
Cert 12A
118 mins
BBFC advice: Contains moderate violence, sex references

Those who read the blog closely may think I am off the pace on this year's everyfilm chase.
However, I am doing pretty well - it's just that I am behind with my reviews. I am just too busy during the week and have to write them up at weekends.
The knock-on effect is that my SEO on Google is not nearly as high as it should be.
And it also means that in some cases, such as Ali Kundilli's, I am giving my opinions on a movie a week after I have seen it.
Ali Kundilli is an amiable comedy which came at the end of our six-film marathon in London last weekend .
It stars Cem Gelinoglu as the title character who dreams of great wealth thanks to his rather ambitious inventions.
These include a device which allows people to eat with their fingers without covering them in grease.
At the same time as trying to market his invention, he is being lined up to be best man at the wedding of his friend Verdat (Sami Aksu).
However, all sorts of disasters befalls Verdat in the build-up to his nuptials, including a stag night catastrophe in which he is paralysed.
Ali gets the blame for all of the bad luck, including his own, and this puts into jeopardy his long-term love to his beautiful girlfriend (Zeynep Aktug) whose family are hopeful of a more stable husband.
Bulent Isbilen's film is typical of many Turkish comedies in which the gags surround family and the local community. It is also par for the course that the leading men are romantically entwined with women who appear to be way above their station.
Anyway, Ali Kundilli is an amiable film which prompted a few giggles from us and more from the Turkish-speakers in the audience at Lee Valley Odeon.
This was largely down to the likable buffoonery of  Gelinoglu in its lead role.
Gelinoglu is warm and affectionate without being soppy and the film's gags are mainly physical without relying too heavily on slapstick.

Reasons to watch: Amiable comedy
Reasons to avoid: Plot lacks much depth

Laughs: three, including one big one
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 6/10