NEXT TIME I'LL AIM FOR THE HEART (LA PROCHAINE FOIS JE VISERAI LE COEUR)
Cert 15
109 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong bloody images, strong language, sex references. sexualised nudity
Since January, Cedric Anger's Next Time I'll Aim For The Heart has been top of the list of movies I need to see.
I had earmarked to watch it at Cine Lumiere, the specialist French arts centre in London, but an editors' conference in Kensington overran.
However, this particular day has been saved by the kindly folk in the Studiocanal press office who sent me a preview DVD ahead of the picture's rental release in April.
And I am mighty pleased that I got the chance to see it because this is the type of grim but gusty thriller that the French do so well.
It stars the ever excellent Guillaume Canet who I first came across in the superb Tell No One back in 2006.
Here Canet plays Franck Neuhart, who is based on Alain Lamare, a police officer who was, by day, investigating the murders he had committed at night in the late 1970s.
Anger's film comes from the killer's perspective, examining his deteriorating mental state as well as the methodology of his killings.
It is an enthralling movie with Canet reflecting with aplomb his character's devastating mood swings and cunning.
These become more and more evident outside of his murder frenzy - for example, during his curiously slowly developing relationship with his young house cleaner (Ana Giradot).
There are a number of decently played support roles but this is Canet's film - he underlines why he is one of France's top stars.
Cleverly, he enthralls the audience without them ever being on his side.
Director Cedric Anger: Today there are so many movies inspired by new items it is a genre in itself and must be considered like that in the way that westerns, comedies or musicals are."
Reasons to watch: True crime chase film made in the way which only the French do.
Reasons to avoid: Unremitting bleakness
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: yes
Nudity: yes
Overall rating: 7.5/10
Cert 15
109 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong bloody images, strong language, sex references. sexualised nudity
Since January, Cedric Anger's Next Time I'll Aim For The Heart has been top of the list of movies I need to see.
I had earmarked to watch it at Cine Lumiere, the specialist French arts centre in London, but an editors' conference in Kensington overran.
However, this particular day has been saved by the kindly folk in the Studiocanal press office who sent me a preview DVD ahead of the picture's rental release in April.
And I am mighty pleased that I got the chance to see it because this is the type of grim but gusty thriller that the French do so well.
It stars the ever excellent Guillaume Canet who I first came across in the superb Tell No One back in 2006.
Here Canet plays Franck Neuhart, who is based on Alain Lamare, a police officer who was, by day, investigating the murders he had committed at night in the late 1970s.
Anger's film comes from the killer's perspective, examining his deteriorating mental state as well as the methodology of his killings.
It is an enthralling movie with Canet reflecting with aplomb his character's devastating mood swings and cunning.
These become more and more evident outside of his murder frenzy - for example, during his curiously slowly developing relationship with his young house cleaner (Ana Giradot).
There are a number of decently played support roles but this is Canet's film - he underlines why he is one of France's top stars.
Cleverly, he enthralls the audience without them ever being on his side.
Director Cedric Anger: Today there are so many movies inspired by new items it is a genre in itself and must be considered like that in the way that westerns, comedies or musicals are."
Reasons to watch: True crime chase film made in the way which only the French do.
Reasons to avoid: Unremitting bleakness
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: yes
Nudity: yes
Overall rating: 7.5/10

