THE VOICES
Cert 15
101 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, sex references, bloody violence, gore
And the list of surreal movies goes on and on.
This time the action focuses on a warehouseman who accidentally becomes a serial killer after refusing to take medicine for schizophrenia.
Those affected by mental illness might want to avoid the portrayal of Ryan Reynolds whose character, Jerry, believes his pet dog and cat talk to him.
In fact, it is the cat who persuades him to indulge in a murderous rampage.
This is not the first strange role taken on by chisel-jawed leading man Reynolds. He was in Adventureland which was a blood-splattered zombie flick a few years back.
This time, his black comedy co-stars are Gemma Arterton who plays a work colleague with whom he is infatuated and Anna Kendrick who is her rival in love.
But they are very much the support to the crazed Jerry and his pets, who are also voiced by Reynolds.
Marjane Satrapi's The Voices is certainly quirky but has the fundamental problem on which too many comedies founder - it isn't funny enough.
In fact, Reynolds' character begins to grate about half way through and doesn't stop doing so until the film's dramatic finale.
I admit it is seldom that I find horror humorous. I know some will have a right good giggle at the blood flow but not me.
On the up side, The Voices does demonstrate Reynolds' versatility.
Ryan Reynolds: "This is indicative of many of the scripts which are on the black list in Hollywood but I have had good luck from the black list. I have been in a few movies which were 'impossible to make' and this was one of them.
Reasons to avoid: The blood and the lack of funny scens
Reasons to watch: It's edgy and Ryan Reynolds shows his versatility
Laughs: none for me
Jumps: none
Vomit: yes
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 5/10
Cert 15
101 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, sex references, bloody violence, gore
And the list of surreal movies goes on and on.
This time the action focuses on a warehouseman who accidentally becomes a serial killer after refusing to take medicine for schizophrenia.
Those affected by mental illness might want to avoid the portrayal of Ryan Reynolds whose character, Jerry, believes his pet dog and cat talk to him.
In fact, it is the cat who persuades him to indulge in a murderous rampage.
This is not the first strange role taken on by chisel-jawed leading man Reynolds. He was in Adventureland which was a blood-splattered zombie flick a few years back.
This time, his black comedy co-stars are Gemma Arterton who plays a work colleague with whom he is infatuated and Anna Kendrick who is her rival in love.
But they are very much the support to the crazed Jerry and his pets, who are also voiced by Reynolds.
Marjane Satrapi's The Voices is certainly quirky but has the fundamental problem on which too many comedies founder - it isn't funny enough.
In fact, Reynolds' character begins to grate about half way through and doesn't stop doing so until the film's dramatic finale.
I admit it is seldom that I find horror humorous. I know some will have a right good giggle at the blood flow but not me.
On the up side, The Voices does demonstrate Reynolds' versatility.
Ryan Reynolds: "This is indicative of many of the scripts which are on the black list in Hollywood but I have had good luck from the black list. I have been in a few movies which were 'impossible to make' and this was one of them.
Reasons to avoid: The blood and the lack of funny scens
Reasons to watch: It's edgy and Ryan Reynolds shows his versatility
Laughs: none for me
Jumps: none
Vomit: yes
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 5/10

