1. Contempt (Le Mepris); movie review

CONTEMPT (LE MEPRIS)
Cert 15
103 mins
BBFC advice: Contains nudity, sex, infrequent strong language

After the last couple of hours, I can say with confidence that Brigitte Bardot had one of the most attractive backsides the world has ever seen.
To be fair, I may be doing her an injustice. Her rear end may be just as pert as it was in 1963 but I'm surmising that, at the age of 81, it might be more creased and possibly larger than it was.
Miss Bardot's bum was the undoubted star of Jean-Luc Godard's much-acclaimed drama.
However, if it had been able to speak rather than merely break wind, I am sure it would have expressed disappointment over the high-brow reviews which followed Le Mepris's release.
Critics have described Godard's picture as 'essential cinema' and 'the greatest piece of post-war art'.
They have written fondly of the presentation of a deteriorating relationship between a script-writer, played by Michel Piccoli, and his typist wife (Bardot).
Piccoli even said that the filming of Le Mepris represented some of the most beautiful times of his long cinematic career.
Frankly, that cannot be much of a surprise. For hours on end his job would have been to admire Bardot's beautiful butt. And he was paid!
Apparently, the relationships in Le Mepris had parallels in Godard's own life as well as those in The Odyssey whose filming its central to its plot.
I have never read Homer but I have read that the characters of Piccoli and Bardot represent Ulysees and Penelope while the interloper (a film producer, played by Jack Palance) corresponds to Poseidon.
All of the tense interplay and comparisons to literature and life will have delighted intellectuals but will have no doubt stretched the mental capacity of average cinema-going punters.
So, how could they be pleased and help keep the bankrollers' happy?
I think the rear of the young Bardot was the answer.
I kid you not, I reckon that it was shown more than half a dozen times.
Not that I was complaining. I am that average cinema-going punter and I found it provided light relief to a lot of arguing and shouting.
Le Mepris is very pretty on many fronts but is plot left me so cold I had goose-bumps.

Star tweet : N/A

Reasons to watch: It is a very pretty picture
Reasons to avoid: Its meandering storyline

Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: yes.. there will never be a better bum at the movies

Overall rating: 6/10