LOST IN KARASTAN
Cert 15
96 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, strong sex
I had high hopes of making great progress with the everyfilm chase while on holiday because independent companies have sent me secret links to their movies.
However, my success is down to whether I have decent internet access and in Gran Canaria that is not as commonplace as you might hope.
Ours is one of the best hotels on the island but I have given up watching movies here so we have had to bar-hop to try to find the best signal.
Therefore, Lost In Karastan was watched in The Galway Girl Irish bar.
Yep, I know it's a hard life.
My surreal surroundings matched what was playing out in front of me.
For the first half an hour or so, Lost In Karastan is a lame comedy about previously successful movie director, Emil Forester (Matthew Macfadyen), who has lost his way and lives miserably alone with his beloved dog.
Out of the blue, he is invited to take part in a film festival in the fictional former Soviet state of Karastan.
His arrival is marked by a clutch of unfunny gags surrounding the bizarre culture of those who live in the war-torn dictatorship and farcical situations in which the director finds himself.
There is also the introduction of Noah Taylor as a bewilderingly eccentric Hollywood star who has also been hired by the film festival.
Forester then falls for his guide (MyAnna Buring) who introduces him to the country's bullish president (Richard van Weyden) and they persuade him to make a film about a historic moment in Karastan's history.
This is when Lost In Karastan completely changes tack, becoming a watchable drama surrounding the ethics of whether the president's extravagant propaganda film should be made amid more and more obvious social unrest.
During this phase, Macfadyen, who looked ill-at-ease as a comedy straight man, comes into his own as a film-maker with a growing conscience.
I understand that the whole movie is a double satire relating to both the direction of films and countries but while I found its pathos effective, its comedy jarred with me.
However, I was torn by Ben Hopkins' Lost In Karastan because its second half rescued an off-key opening half hour.
Reasons to watch: after the lame comedy a watchable drama ensues
Reasons to avoid: it's first half hour are not as funny as it is trying to be.
Laughs: a couple of sniggers
Jumps: none
Vomit: yes
Nudity: yes but on a cinema screen
Overall rating: 5.5/10
Cert 15
96 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong language, strong sex
I had high hopes of making great progress with the everyfilm chase while on holiday because independent companies have sent me secret links to their movies.
However, my success is down to whether I have decent internet access and in Gran Canaria that is not as commonplace as you might hope.
Ours is one of the best hotels on the island but I have given up watching movies here so we have had to bar-hop to try to find the best signal.
Therefore, Lost In Karastan was watched in The Galway Girl Irish bar.
Yep, I know it's a hard life.
My surreal surroundings matched what was playing out in front of me.
For the first half an hour or so, Lost In Karastan is a lame comedy about previously successful movie director, Emil Forester (Matthew Macfadyen), who has lost his way and lives miserably alone with his beloved dog.
Out of the blue, he is invited to take part in a film festival in the fictional former Soviet state of Karastan.
His arrival is marked by a clutch of unfunny gags surrounding the bizarre culture of those who live in the war-torn dictatorship and farcical situations in which the director finds himself.
There is also the introduction of Noah Taylor as a bewilderingly eccentric Hollywood star who has also been hired by the film festival.
Forester then falls for his guide (MyAnna Buring) who introduces him to the country's bullish president (Richard van Weyden) and they persuade him to make a film about a historic moment in Karastan's history.
This is when Lost In Karastan completely changes tack, becoming a watchable drama surrounding the ethics of whether the president's extravagant propaganda film should be made amid more and more obvious social unrest.
During this phase, Macfadyen, who looked ill-at-ease as a comedy straight man, comes into his own as a film-maker with a growing conscience.
I understand that the whole movie is a double satire relating to both the direction of films and countries but while I found its pathos effective, its comedy jarred with me.
However, I was torn by Ben Hopkins' Lost In Karastan because its second half rescued an off-key opening half hour.
Reasons to watch: after the lame comedy a watchable drama ensues
Reasons to avoid: it's first half hour are not as funny as it is trying to be.
Laughs: a couple of sniggers
Jumps: none
Vomit: yes
Nudity: yes but on a cinema screen
Overall rating: 5.5/10

