KING JACK
Cert 15
81 mins
BBFC advice: Contains very strong language, strong violence
Depictions of teenage bullying make me feel more uncomfortable than any other subject while watching a movie.
Nearly 35 years on, they rekindle the very worst memories of schooldays when a couple of individuals made the lives of me and others very uncomfortable.
The bullies seemed to have no conscience and yet cowered when they were faced by those who were older and more powerful.
With this in mind, I cannot say I enjoyed King Jack but I was impressed by its authenticity and, therefore, its acting and direction.
Felix Thompson's film stars Charlie Plummer as the title character - an awkward 15-year-old who is trying to find his way in small town America.
However, his family have little time for him and he is the subject of a volley of violence from the local headcase (Danny Flaherty).
Jack has no male friends but there is a lass (Yainis Ynoa) who is struck on him but he is too blind to see.
And he also has to keep his young but braver cousin (Cory Nichols) in tow because he is given the job of babysitting.
It all adds up to quite a difficult watch but a talented young cast make King Jack frighteningly realistic (there is one scene which has more potency that any gory horror movie I have seen this year).
Plummer and Nichols are impressive but I have to say Flaherty's performance will live longest in the memory. He has captured the very essence of a bully.
King Jack is a low budget movie but that does not mean it has compromised on quality. However, because of its subject matter, I was more disturbed than entertained.
Reasons to watch: its realism is powerful
Reasons to avoid: some bullying scenes are very disturbing
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 7/10
Star tweet
Cert 15
81 mins
BBFC advice: Contains very strong language, strong violence
Depictions of teenage bullying make me feel more uncomfortable than any other subject while watching a movie.
Nearly 35 years on, they rekindle the very worst memories of schooldays when a couple of individuals made the lives of me and others very uncomfortable.
The bullies seemed to have no conscience and yet cowered when they were faced by those who were older and more powerful.
With this in mind, I cannot say I enjoyed King Jack but I was impressed by its authenticity and, therefore, its acting and direction.
Felix Thompson's film stars Charlie Plummer as the title character - an awkward 15-year-old who is trying to find his way in small town America.
However, his family have little time for him and he is the subject of a volley of violence from the local headcase (Danny Flaherty).
Jack has no male friends but there is a lass (Yainis Ynoa) who is struck on him but he is too blind to see.
And he also has to keep his young but braver cousin (Cory Nichols) in tow because he is given the job of babysitting.
It all adds up to quite a difficult watch but a talented young cast make King Jack frighteningly realistic (there is one scene which has more potency that any gory horror movie I have seen this year).
Plummer and Nichols are impressive but I have to say Flaherty's performance will live longest in the memory. He has captured the very essence of a bully.
King Jack is a low budget movie but that does not mean it has compromised on quality. However, because of its subject matter, I was more disturbed than entertained.
Reasons to watch: its realism is powerful
Reasons to avoid: some bullying scenes are very disturbing
Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 7/10
Star tweet
wow! THANK YOU! proud to be a part of @kingjackmovie @CharliePlum @felixethompson @GabsNadig @dominicbuchanan


Cory Nichols