115. Pride And Prejudice And Zombies; movie review

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE AND ZOMBIES
Cert 15
108 mins
BBFC advice: Contains strong violence, horror, threat

Is it a spoof or is it meant to be scary? I was left non-plussed by Burr Steers' Pride And Prejudice And Zombies.
To be fair, whatever the answer to my question, I am not a fan of either the zombie genre or most period dramas so I was unlikely to give this movie an everyfilm tick.
I would, however, have been interested to have been a fly on the wall when the concept was born and then sold to a mainstream studio.
Hats off to those who managed to secure an estimated $28 million budget and a recognised cast.
The latter includes the talented Sam Riley who plays the brooding Mr Darcy, a slayer of the zombies who have overwhelmed much of 18th century England.
He also has a knack of weeding out the undead who have infiltrated upper-crust society. Oh yes, only upon discovery do these zombies show their true rotting flesh.
The problem is that Darcy is difficult to warm to and particularly impervious to his dashing good looks is Elizabeth Bennet (Lily James).
Elizabeth is one of five attractive sisters who are not only the belles of many a ball but have also been taught to be experts in martial arts and killing zombies.
And many many zombies are put to the sword or have their heads blown off in this film.
Matt Smith brings a bit of levity to proceedings as a quirky parson who is seeking a bride. Sadly, he is not as funny as he is trying to be.
Or perhaps it was just that the comedy was lost on me. Others at Nottingham Cineworld had a chuckle but I am afraid I could not raise one.
But I am even more baffled by those who claim this movie is scary, There was nothing here that gave me the slightest palpitation.

Reasons to watch: if you are a fan of horror spoofs
Reasons to avoid: just feels like one long in-joke

Laughs: none
Jumps: none
Vomit: none
Nudity: none
Overall rating: 4/10

Star tweet
it began with the black plague hitting theaters Feb 5th!